Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Success


What is Success? I think each person defines it as something different. When I was in high school and then in college I defined success in my head as being a full time teacher and mother. With every job I had and every class I took I thought, "I can't wait until I'm a teacher". Then I became that teacher after two years of struggling to get a job and being a teacher's aide. I was a teacher for three years in my own classroom. Many many nights I would come home very stressed and feeling very unsuccessful. In my last year of teaching I came home in tears more days than not and was not sure what to do, but never thought twice about giving up teaching.
Over the summer I knew I had to do something different and after two different people asked me about running my own day care I finally said yes. When I started I had no idea if I would even be able to get any kids to watch. I was not willing to pay the hundreds of dollars to run an ad in the newspaper.
I started out small with just one kid, and before long I had three. I now have 12 kids( 2 of them my own) in my daycare and I love it. I have a full time helper and we get a long great. We also have a good group of kids. We have our hard kids and parents that we don't always see eye to eye with but it is amazing. We celebrate when I kid takes his first steps or when one starts crawling or rolling over. We clap and cheer and yell for the other to come watch.
My phone also hasn't stopped ringing I am constantly getting phone calls from other people interested in the day care because they have heard about it from one of the parents of a kid that is already enrolled.
I may not be making as much money as I was teaching, and I may have furniture that has more stains on it that you can count, but if you would has me if I am successful; I would have to say YES now more than ever.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Shannon. I think a big part of the success is that when our kids have those big first moments our excitement is genuine. I love when each kid learns something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how you and Jenni run the day care. Each child is treated fairly and with the right amount of love and compassion. All I have ever wanted for you was joy and fulfillment in your chosen profession. I think I can rest easy now because you have achieved that. Saying, "I'm proud of you!" seems so inadequate. But I am so very very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete