Sunday, April 14, 2013

Colin's Illness

Colin has been sick more than he has been healthy since he was 4 months old. Many times people would think that he just has a slight cold unless you are around him for a good amount of time.
If you spend enough time with him you know that he coughs a lot and that he doesn't have the same amount of energy a 2 year old has. He can keep up with the other kids for awhile but then he has to drop off because he can't breathe.
   We have been to doctors and had many tests run on him. Every time we think we have his illnesses under control he pops up with another symptom or issue.
   Last week he had the PICC line put in. I thought this was going to really upset him. He has done great. He doesn't pick at it, he doesn't complain about it. He has just accepted it. Just like he has accepted everything else in his little life.
  We constantly get comments from doctors, nurses, etc about what a great patient he is. As long as he is allowed to hold my hand they can take his blood, do his vitals, check his ears or lungs or any of the million other things he has had done.
   While in the hospital they had to swab his nose, I told the doctor he should do okay. She wasn't so sure. After it was over she repeatedly told him what a great job he did and that most of their teenagers don't do as well as what he did. We went off to find a sticker or something for him.
   What all this leads to, is while I'm very proud of my little boy for being so brave and doing so well with all these procedures it is hard on me.
   I feel like my 2 year old shouldn't have to know how to get his blood drawn or an IV put in, or laying still for ultrasound or x-ray. I don't want to be told that he did great, I want to be told he doesn't need them.
   I have been having a really hard time this week with accepting it all. Maybe I need to take a page from his book and just accept that this is a part of our life and it isn't going away any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment