Wednesday, April 24, 2013

ENT Visit

Today was the visit to the ENT. This was the first time seeing her since Colin's bronchoscopy. I had spoken to her a few times on the phone and knew that she was working closely with the pulmonologist.

So I figured she already had a game plan before we walked into the office. So after waiting over an hour past our appointment time we finally got to see the doctor. She decided that we are going to try removing his adenoids and putting filler around the cleft. We are going to leave his tonsils in for now since they aren't inflamed and that would be even more trauma to his throat.

  The surgery is scheduled for May 6. He will stay one night in the hospital to be monitored  for swelling and issues with the filler. Hopefully he will be able to come home early the next day.

The filler only lasts 3-4 months so we will watch him and monitor his health for those few months and see if we think the surgery helped. If his breathing and other issues are greatly improved we will discuss surgery to repair the cleft.

If things do not seem improved over that time then we are back to square one and will have to try to find a new avenue to keep him healthy.

I pray this is the answer we want/need. I am so burned out. I feel so defeated. I feel so alone. I just want to see my little boy healthy and happy for more than a 5 day stretch.

I am still very nervous about the filler since there are many risks that come with it. We didn't do it in March because of the issues, and now we once again don't really have much of a choice. I just pray she has steady hands and that it doesn't do any permanent damage to his vocal cords.

No comments:

Post a Comment