Thursday, December 8, 2011

Tuesday Night

Ever had one of those nights where you are so tired you think of going to bed at like 7? Yeah that is how I felt Tuesday night. So at about 9:30 I went upstairs to get ready for bed. I went into check on Colin and he was really warm so I took his temp (while he was sleeping) and it was 102.6. I came down and got some medicine for him but then wondered if I should wake him up to give it to him. So I went back into my room and laid down.
  He was whimpering in his sleep so I went back in with my phone and counted his breaths per minute and came out with 64 (which is way to high). So I decided to call the after hours nurse line. They wanted me to do three breathing treatments back to back and they would call back in an hour.
  Well after that hour was over he was worse than when I called the first time and so Colin and I headed to Children's Hospital.
   By the time we checked in at 12:15 he had a fever of 104.5, had a heat rash that covered his entire body,  heart rate was at 210 and his breathing was over 70 breaths per minute.  Needless to say we did not spend much time in the waiting room.
  Once back in the back he got Tylenol and Motrin and a chest x-ray. By 1:45 everything was done and we were just waiting for results.
   About 2:30 they came in and said that he had pneumonia and that because of the fever his heart and breathing were so high. They were getting ready to admit him to the hospital. They went to do a few things and when they came back at 3:00 Colin had turned a corner. His fever was gone and he was breathing at about 56 breaths a minute. The doctor came back and said that he was comfortable letting us go home if I was. I said yes. So I had to wait long enough to get a dose of medicine in Colin and make sure he kept it down then we were released.
   It was super cold and I had to go out and across the street to get the car. When I brought him in, his fever was so high I didn't worry about taking him in the cold. But now that he didn't have a fever I didn't want to take him out there. So the front desk nurses watched him while I ran (and I really did run) to the car.
   I walked in the house at 4:15 and got up at 6:05 for the day. It was a LONG night and one I do not want to repeat anytime soon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment