Friday, January 31, 2014

Answers Coming?

Colin was referred to a new pulmonologist in early January.  After waiting for almost a week to hear from them I called the office and made an appointment, it was set for April 4. I was frustrated with the long wait, but figured there wasn't much I could do.
We went for a swallow study on Jan 17 and his swallow was "perfect" so they suggested I call the referring doctor and see if he could pull some strings to move the appointment up. I called and they told me there wasn't much that they could do but put me on the cancellation list.
   The following Wednesday I got a call asking if I could come in that Friday for an appointment. I said yes! So on Friday Jan 24 we met with the new doctor. I really liked her and even though she walked into the appointment about 15 minutes late, she came in with print outs from Colin's history and took over a page of notes while talking to us.
  She asked a lot of questions and wants to do some more tests to rule out/in a few more things. So we left with 3 more tests to schedule and she wanted a follow up in 4-6 weeks. I told her that was fine but I highly doubted we would get all the testing done in 4-6 weeks.
   So on Tuesday I started calling to set up the testing. We got the CT scan scheduled for Tuesday Feb. 4. The sleep study when I called the first available was April 2. I said I would take it but to once again put us on the list for cancellations. The next day I got a call and asked if we could come in that night. So we already have the sleep study done.
   The last test she wanted was another swallow study, but after talking to the therapy department they said that insurance won't cover another test at this time. So with the help of the parish nurse at our church I found a speech pathologist that specializes in swallowing. I have an appointment with her on Feb 14.
   We then have our follow up with the pulmonary doctor on March 14. After almost 3 years of questions and no answers, I'm really hoping that maybe some of these new tests and people will be able to see something that someone else has missed and we can finally start helping Colin.
   Colin also has a hearing test and sees the ENT on Feb 5. I'm guessing she is going to want another bronchoscopy because he has been so sick since Dec 20. I guess it will all depend on the results of the CT scan and what the hearing test and his lungs sound like next week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment