Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Moving

Last Saturday we went and picked up a uhaul truck and loaded it with a bed, a couch and some other odds and ends and set off for Iowa.
 We put one car seat in the uhaul and one car seat in my car. The kid in my car got to watch a movie (first time a movie has ever been played in my car). It ended up taking us about 4 hours with a stop for lunch. The kids did fantastic! Not one complaint and while Alyssa was ready to get out of the car at the end she still did fantastic.
  We got the uhaul unloaded and drove around the town and then headed to our hotel for the night. We were not able to get a hotel in the town Chris is going to be living because they are all full with all the people working on the job. So we started back towards home and got a hotel about an hour away from the new job site.
   We got all settled and went to sleep. At about midnight Colin woke up gasping for air. I had a glass of water sitting by the side of my bed and I grabbed it and walked over to him. He started to throw up so I got him to the bathroom and he threw up some mucus. Even after that he was still gasping. I told Chris I was worried and thought we might need to call 911. We decided I would try taking him outside and see if the cold air would help. So in my pj's I took Colin outside, it did nothing.
   I took him to the front desk and asked how to get to the hospital. She told me that there was one about 3 miles away. So I took Colin back upstairs and put shoes on him and clothes on me. We then headed to the hospital with him gasping the whole time.
   I found the hospital pretty easily and ran him in, by then I was shaking worse than he was. They hooked him up to the O2 monitor right away and his O2 was good (high 90's) but he was wheezing. So they got me back in a room and started a breathing treatment. The doctor came in and looked him over and saw he had a bad ear infection. We did a chest x-ray and it showed pneumonia. So the doctor came back and asked what I wanted to do. We decided to give him another breathing treatment, a shot of antibiotics and a shot of steroids and we would go back to the hotel to sleep and then head for home ASAP the next morning.
  From the time I got in my car at the hotel to the time I got back to the hotel was a total of 2 hours. Gotta love a small county hospital in a small town.
   Alyssa slept through all of it and was shocked when she woke up the next morning to me sleeping with her versus Colin.
   We got home and Colin has been ok since we got back, lots of coughing but is still in a good mood and eating well.
   Chris leaves for good Sunday night or Monday morning. So right now we are just enjoying the last week of normal as we know it before we start a new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment