Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Soap Box


*climbing up on my soap box, standing taller, clearing throat waiting for the audience to go silent*
E-mail. It is such a funny thing. For some it is the only way they talk to certain people. For some it is just a place for conformation to go when you buy something, and for others it is a social place to talk to others and get and share info.
My mom sent out an e-mail that stirred up a lot of drama. I think it is funny, because I read it and didn't really give it a second thought, it was one of many forwards I get in a week. Each person has their own reason for sending the ones that they do.
*stepping down off soap box and going back to rocking her daughter to sleep*
But the main point is who has the right to tell you what to send and what not to send? I mean if I want to send something that is my personal choice and right. Freedom of speech right? I can't go to the post office and tell them I don't like Shop and Save, so stop sending me those ads. I can't tell the credit cards that their ads offend me and to stop sending them. I can put my phone number on the do not call list, however every year I still get calls for Mayor or Fire Chief.
So the question out there to all of my 3 readers. Can you really tell people what they are allowed to send you?

3 comments:

  1. LOLOL Obviously after what happened, I am not the person to ask. Maybe I should be asking the question??? Anyway, I received 3 negative responses; two of them very negative and one that was just negative. The rest of the responses were supportive or neutral. And, like you, I get many emails in a week and choose not to send on 99% of them. But I have decided that if I feel like they are worthwhile, I will send them forward and let the chips fall where they may.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to read the email that stirred up some controversy.

    Here's what I think: Send the emails you feel compelled to send. I very rarely forward stuff on, just b/c I don't. But if something is good, I'll pass it along to the people I think will appreciate it. If you have a problem w/ the email, draft a rebuttal and then send it on to your contacts and the person who sent it to you. Otherwise, just hit the delete button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the same vein as always reading forwarded messages but not often responding - I always read the blog, but I might not comment. Just saying... :)

    ReplyDelete