Sunday, December 16, 2012

Ct Shooting

Since Friday almost every other post on Facebook has been something about this horrible, senseless, and tragic shooting that happened on Friday. I understand it, my heart is heavy, I am sad. But I'm starting to get annoyed with all the people that have already started to place the blame everywhere but on where it should be. This should be about helping the families grieve, helping the first responders as they deal with what they saw.
I was a teacher for 5 years, my last two years I taught 1st grade. I remember how hard it was to make sure I was doing everything in my power for the minds of my students to grow. I spent more waking hours a day with most of them than their parents did. I knew about loose teeth, trips to the zoo, and what they ate for dinner last night. They looked to me for guidance and wisdom. I truly hope at most got it from me. I also know that I would have done everything in my power to protect those kids had I been in that situation.

My last year teaching a parent brought a gun into the school. It was later found out he was doing it to intimidate some students he felt were bulling his kid. The day he brought it in construction was going on in our building. So they had moved the entrance for people to enter the building. The door that people came in was right across from my classroom. Had that Dad wanted to harm children my classroom would have been the first one hit. I wouldn't of had time to lock my door, or any of my other lock down procedures.

As I sit here tonight counting my blessings of my two children and that nothing like this ever happened to me while I was teaching, it is hard to try to move past it knowing how scared, those kids and teachers must of been. It hits a little too close to home for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment