Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Being a Mommy is hard


As a teacher I have to make choices for my students on an hourly basis. Do they need to continue working and finish this project or should we wrap it up and move to the next? Should we review those words again? Do they understand the material? How should I handle the students hitting each other? What should I tell their parents when I call and tell them their student is not passing. I have never had any trouble making these decisions, and very rarely do I question myself about them.
Now making decisions about Alyssa. OMG they are so hard. To find the right babysitter I searched high and low. To give her shots I spent hours researching the side effects and benefits of giving them all at once or stretching them out. When she came down with a cold the day before her shots I called at least 3 people to get opinions. Now to sleeping. I have posted for the last while that she has had a hard time sleeping. I have spent two days reading parts of books. I don't like any of them. Some say let her cry it out. Chris and I feel she is too young. Some say carry her in a front pack all night and take her to bed with you. Chris and I like our time without her, and that doesn't teach her to sleep on her own. Others say that you put them to sleep then when they wake you are to just give them a blanket to soothe themselves.
The only thing Chris and I felt comfortable doing at this time was establishing a clear and true bed time routine ( something we hadn't done before now). We are going to try this until our vacation. I'm also going to talk to the doctor when I take her for her shots on Monday.
We started the routine tonight, she got a bath with lavender smelling soap, then we read her a book, swaddled her we both said good night and I nursed her and then rocked her for a few minutes. She was asleep and I put her down. I have now pumped so if she wakes Chris will take the bottle and feed her and rock her back to sleep.
Hopefully we can start to see a better sleeping pattern in a few nights! Wish us luck!

1 comment: