Monday, June 8, 2009

Doctors Appointment/ Hippie Mom?


Okay, first the doctor's appointment. Alyssa had her 4 month check up today. She was 14 lbs 2 ounces. 25 inches long and her head was 41 cm. That means she is 60% for weight, 75% for height and 50% for head.
The doctor said that she looked really healthy. She showed him how she can scream, and kick when she isn't happy. She was so brave for her shots. She got 2 and she stopped crying as soon as I picked her up.
Now on to the Hippie mom. I never thought I would be one to go against doctor's advice, but I am. I have done tons of research on feeding solids. Many things I read said that babies tummies are not ready for solids before 6 months. I have decided that I'm not going to start solids until closer to 6 months. She is not interested in our food or drink. The only time she opens her mouth for a cup is in the bathtub! We have 3 trips planned for the next 5 weeks. I think once we get back from those trips I will introduce the food. Also he told me she should be sleeping through the night. I told him she gets up once to eat. He gave me a look, I said she also isn't eating 6 ounces at a feeding. He said that we should try to keep pushing her feeding back and that by the time she comes back for her 6 month check up she should be sleeping through the night. I guess it is a good thing I didn't tell him she still sleeps with us a few hours a night!
We are still keeping her on a routine for naps and bed. She is doing really well with this schedule and is waking less and less during those nap times.
It took me a long time to come with terms with the fact that she is my baby and I need to do what I think is right and now what others tell me I should do. It wasn't until this weekend when I was out with some friends and one of them was talking about how she had to come with terms that she isn't a failure( regarding changing careers). When she said that it clicked with me. I'm not a failure with Alyssa I just have to do what works for her and me.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Shannon!!! I am glad you have come to the realization that it is okay to listen to people's advice....even mine...but do what you think is best for you and your child. You know what works for the three of you. All of us giving you advice are not living behind YOUR closed doors. You are a fantastic mom and Chris is a fantastic dad. Now when you hear it, maybe you will believe it. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete