Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bed Sharing

At the beginning of our marriage Chris and I said that we would never get a king size bed. That they were too big and we enjoyed being close to each other at night. Then before we had Alyssa we talked about how we did not want to have her in bed with us. We wanted her to be able to sleep in her own bed and that was that.
  Well Alyssa was born and she was a bad sleeper. So at about 6 weeks in she started to sleep with us once she woke up at night. It made it easier for me to nurse and I could sleep at the same time. She slept with us off and on in spurts until about 8 months. From 8 months on she slept only in her bed.
     Colin has been a better sleeper but for about 2 months would sleep in bed with us after he woke up for the first time at night. Since about 6 months old he has slept only in his crib and since about 7 months he sleeps through the night.

 THEN we moved Alyssa to a toddler bed. Since moving her to a toddler bed she has slept anywhere but in her bed. She has slept on the floor in her room, the floor of the loft, the couch in the loft, the floor of our bedroom, the futon in our bedroom and her most beloved place our bed. When she comes into our room now she stands at my side of the bed staring at me until I wake up, put my arms out, throw her over me and into the middle between Chris and I. I then go back to sleep. I wake up to parts of her body thrown over mine, feet in my back and hands over my face. I'm not sure how something so small can take up so much room. We try to move her back to her bed, only for her to be back in our room 10 minutes to an hour later. It is frustrating but I do know that it is just a phase and soon enough she won't want to sleep with us. I am grateful that she starts out the night in her own bed and hope at some point she will wake constantly in her own bed, however for the time being that isn't happening.




    So for Christmas Chris and I are going to buy a king size bed. That way we have room for us, the dog and the kid. Hopefully Alyssa will be done sleeping with us by the time Colin wants to!

1 comment:

  1. Don't count on it!! One of my most vivid memories of you and your brother when you all were little was of feeling like part of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Your dad and I were on the outside (most of the time) with you and Michael in between us. Sometimes it would be your dad, kid, me, kid but generally it was your dad, kid, kid, me. I would often get up and go sleep somewhere else because the bed felt so crowded. Once you all had your own "adult friendly" beds, I would pick one of your beds to sleep in.......oh those were the days!! :)

    ReplyDelete