Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Giving up the Pacifier


It is hard to quit an addiction. It is even harder when it is not your idea to quit that addiction. Alyssa used a pacifier to go to sleep at night and during naps. She never used it at any other time and Chris and I had talked a few times about taking it away and we never did.
After a talk last week we knew that we either had to get rid of it very soon or we were going to have to wait until after the baby came. I said I wanted to do it while I was still out of school so that if she didn't like it I could sleep during the day or at least take it easy.
We started on Friday night. She only cried for 10 minutes and then went to sleep. We thought
"wow this isn't bad". That night I went to check on her and found out she had gotten sick from dinner and was covered in throw up. We spent the next 2 hours cleaning her up and her throwing up 5 more times. I wanted to give in and give the pacifier back but Chris made me hold strong.
On Saturday she cried for 15 minutes very hard and then went to sleep. On Sunday it was 10 minutes and not as hard. On Monday it was only 8 minutes and even less.
Tonight Chris is gone for the night so it was just me for bed time routine. She cried for 10 minutes and went to sleep. She then woke up 45 minutes later and has now been crying for about 30 minutes. I have gone up and rubbed her back and rocked her, finally she just has to cry. I hope she falls asleep soon and she is just off her routine with Chris gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment